Thursday, March 28, 2013

How About Dealing With Some Real Problems?

I read and watch the news about the pending gay marriage cases in frustration.  To be sure, there are all sorts of difficult legal issues to be resolved, but I just wonder why we can’t just step back and ask, “Why is all this necessary?” 

If the state and federal governments could just refrain from legislating how two consenting adults decide to live together as a couple, we could get past the legal wrangling over manufactured issues and get on with some real problems.  There are too many to name, but how about adopting some simple gun control legislation?  Or asking what should be done about teenage boys who rape a girl and then brag about it?

“Huh”, you say: “What planet have you been living on?” Yeah, I get it; I know how the real world works:  There are the self-appointed moral police, the special interest groups and big business, not to mention plain-old evil thinking people, all of whom make it their life’s work to influence our lawmakers.   Yeah, but wouldn’t we be lucky people if just a few of these ignorant souls could get their heads out of their asses?
____________

I wrote this for the Week 70 Trifecta Writing Challenge where we are to write a 33-333 word composition using the word “lucky” in the context of producing a favorable result by chance.

I am late entering this week due to having some surgery which came out ok, but which had me tied up with doctors and hospitals all week.  I mention this only because I may not see as many of the other entries as I usually do, especially now that there are so many.

Your comments are appreciated. 

 

 

22 comments:

  1. Well I am a Brit living in USA and I must say all this legal wrangling over such a simple issue does have me scratching my head a bit!! As you say why don't they just get their heads out of their arses.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Emma. Im scratching my head too much these days and thanks for the translation into proper British. Lol!

      Delete
  2. I find it so boggling how so many people are so vehemently opposed to gay marriage...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great post, Lumdog, and a topic near and dear to my heart.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Couldn't agree more with you Lumdog-very well said!In every country,it's more or less the same story!The powers that be in cohorts with the vested interest groups-the public can go kill themselves,for all they care-real issues getting overshadowed & hidden under seemingly meaningless policies & discussions-a sad use of the honest taxpayer's money -no redemption in sight!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Atreyee. So true. I get more frustrated by the day.

      Delete
  5. Glad you survived. Thoughtful post... maybe too thoughtful for the people you talk about to comprehend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Ted. Yes, it's even more frustrating to know they wouldn't get it.

      Delete
  6. Nice OpEd piece, lumdog!
    I admit to being smug about hailing from Boston and living in Spain, knowing my brother could get married in either place. : )

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kymm. I've written many op-ed pieces for the local newspaper, but none were quite like this. Lol! BTW, Barcelona is one of THE cool cities.

      Delete
  7. I agree with you on all accounts. We need a good shot of human decency and fair rights and protections into our laws.

    Glad to hear surgery went well! (:

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks about the surgery and the comment. The lawmakers seem so out of touch, but, they get elected, so who's to blame?

      Delete
  8. Hope you recover goes well - interesting peice. I wrote something about gay marriage in y opinion blog this week www.edgeymotes.com if you're interested. But i agre life is far too short to be concerning myself with the marital habits of the gay community - its like people are short things to worry about.. Its was Elton John adopting a child. Anyways get well Lum.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sam, about the recovery and the comment. I'll take a look at your piece.

      Delete
  9. Hope you're feeling well!
    As for the legal wrangling over non-issues?
    If they can keep us at odds with one another over those issues, they can sneak other questionable legislation in while we're not looking.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Renee, I'm doing better. Yeah, I think they use smoke and mirrors so we can't see what their doing.

      Delete
  10. So wish all politicians and those in power would remove their heads from their derrieres! Hope you are on the road to recovery and thanks for taking the time to read mine LD. This was an excellent take on the prompt and also a crucial issue that you folk over there and us over here and worldwide need to get sorted.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Rambly. I sort of got used to calling you Mum, but I see most bloggers call you Rambly, so that is what it shall be. I always thought the Europeans were more enlighened on these things. I hope that's true.

      Delete
  11. So well put! I agree completely. It probably sounds simplistic, but our world needs all the love it can get right now:)

    I'm so glad your surgery is over, and I hope your recovery goes quickly and smoothly!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thank you so much Valerie. And you are so right.

    ReplyDelete