Monday, September 24, 2012

The Bunnies!

Jones was born and raised in Hopwell and was well liked, even though the townfolk thought that he was a little slow. He had a cabbage patch next to his cabin in the woods. Every night, the rabbits would feast on his cabbage and he woke up every morning and saw his ravaged garden.

He was mystified. Indeed, he was naive and utterly blind to the events unfolding while he was asleep!  He wasn't even suspicious when he heard the rabbits talking and making chortling sounds. Despite this obvious truth, he loved the little bunnies and would feed them from whatever was left in his garden.

Mirna, who lived about a half mile down the road from Jones, brought him biscuits and gravy every morning. Jones had no idea, but Mirna had a crush on him.  And every day, Mirna would ask him to dinner.  But Jones would always say, "No, thank you ma'am." He was not exactly sure why he said no, but he was afraid.  Maybe it was the rumors, where it was said that she did some bad things and was sent to a "home".  The newspaper stories were confusing too, but he understood when he read that the judge said:  "You are criminally insane!"

But Mirna, now having been released for some six months, was ready to resume her life.  And so, when she brought the biscuits and gravy to Jones, she wanted to be helpful. She tried to warn him that the rabbits were the ones destroying his cabbage patch.  She suggested a low fence that might keep them away. But Jones would hear none of it; he loved his bunnies.

After his umteenth replanting, one morning, Jones woke up to see his cabbage patch thriving.  He thought, I must have found my green thumb.  As Mirna served the biscuits and gravy, Jones bragged: "I've finally mastered the art of gardening!"...Mirna smiled.

And the bunnies were never seen or heard from again.
__________

I wrote this for the Trifecta Week 44 Writing Challenge where we are supposed to write a 33-333 word composition using the third definition of the word "blind".

Your comments are appreciated.

40 comments:

  1. Uh-oh. Is she going to make rabbit stew, or was it biscuits and bunny gravy that she made?

    I like this character because he was kind. I fear for him because a criminally insane woman is after him. Poor Jones :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I think she calls them Bunny Biscuits! I'm worried about him too. Thanks Janna.

      Delete
  2. Looks like it might have gone all Fatal Attraction on poor Jones! Seems happy though! Gotta love the crazy women! Adds to the excitement but I fear jones cant handle her. Fun story, lumdog!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Gina. I went a little wacky myself on this one!

      Delete
  3. This is great, if you can't fix a problem, let someone else fix it for you, just don't ask for details. Great twist.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Laura. Yeah, I guess you could call Mirna a "fixer". We just don't know what (or who) else she's going to fix. :)

      Delete
  4. Replies
    1. Thanks Jeanna. I just hope the gravy is not lumpy!

      Delete
  5. The poor bunnies! Great writing.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Nice and dark twist. Beautiful writing

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for those comments. I'm afraid it might get darker for Jones.

      Delete
  7. What a fantastic story... Fatal Attraction style lol.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Poor bunnies. I am a little scared of this Mima. Hopefully, her violent instincts go away with the bunnies too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think Mirna has other plans for Jones. Thanks Ruby.

      Delete
  9. I'm clapping because of the darkness and the symbolism.well done, lum

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Lance. This style is a bit out of the norm for me, so I wasn't sure how it was going to work.

      Delete
  10. Oh no, bunny biscuits for breakfast! Funny take on the prompt. At Trifecta we're always looking for the third definition of the word as defined on our website. The second definition was used in this piece.
    Thanks for joining us again this week. We hope to see you back soon.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oops! You are so right. I know the rule and must have glazed over the distinction between the time I read the definition and when I wrote the piece. I guess I could change it to comply or I could not worry about it. Either way, I appreciate your pointing this out.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Haha. I enjoyed this. Great little story.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh, dear. I don't think he's up to coping with Mirna, but maybe it won't matter.

    Rabbit is awfully good, though. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  14. i don't know why i found this adorable and slightly humorous, but i did! i felt like this would have done well as a lengthier tale.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think I was going for adorable and slightly humorous, with a dark twist. Thanks for your comments Renada.

      Delete
  15. Awww! Poor bunnies! At least Jones is on Mirna's good side...

    ReplyDelete
  16. This is mysterious and interesting. This appears to be a lighthearted tale for now but the possibility of darkness is there.

    ~Imelda

    ReplyDelete
  17. I love a woman who would do "just about anything for her man" don't you? A woman with a past and a woman with a crush, almost nothing can dissuade her. (wink)

    the writing was good, it reminded me of the "Green Mile" or something else that is not coming to me this early in the morning, but I liked it. Romance is not always sweet and kind, sometimes it is wicked and manipulated and SO GREAT to read.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Kir. I liked the idea of making Mirna a little sinister.

      Delete
  18. Oh this is so good Lumdog. I think it would have made a very good Alfred Hitchcock episode. Superb as usual! :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Linda . I think I was channeling a touch of your humor in this.

      Delete
  19. oh, my! no gravy for me, please! really well-written!

    ReplyDelete